Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Party!!!


Yesterday, on President's Day, we had a really nice birthday party for Em's sister Bell! It was great to have so many of Em's family over, including her mom, Bell's husband Steve, Em's other sister Rosada (all the way from Maryland!), Rosada's son Chris, and his wife Joyce. We all had a great time, and Em made an amazing Mexican feast for us!! Hooray for Em and hooray for our new dish washer!!!



Bell got some great presents, but by far the most interesting were two (literally) hysterical creatures that make a nice counterpoint to our huge serious cat. Apparently they are a kind of family tradition - after all of these years these girls can sure still surprise me!! Em's family are wonderful storytellers & we had a great time listening to the hilarious family memories - Rosada's hatred-of-babysitting stories were classic!! Happy birthday again to Bell and love to all of Em's family.
Speaking of Bell, everyone should take a look at the newest comment on the "Lux!!!" post from last week. Bell wrote an amazing reply to my (and Eric's) anti-Cramps diatribe that made me somewhat ashamed - I feel like I should have my rock and roll credentials revoked. Great writing Bell!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your rock-and-roll cred is totally safe! ;)

Anonymous said...

BY the way - I am posting this here because the Cramps posting got too full, apparently.

Thanks everyone for the really sweet words - I realize that my post stumbled into the comments like a drunken cousin crashing your dinner party in torn fishnets and smeared lipstick…but that was kind of my point.

You can’t discuss the Cramps as if you are at a wine tasting – they are the musical equivalent of slamming shots of cheap vodka in the backseat while your friend drives way too fast down Mulhulland Drive.

Wine tastings are fabulous – cultured, tasteful, and a lot of fun – but I have had a lot of great nights in the backseat driving way too fast down Mulhuland Drive, too. I’m certainly glad I have done both!

The Cramps are the horror movie of the musical world – garish, over the top, somewhat absurd, but if you can manage to suspend your disbelief long enough – for just a moment you can be taken somewhere “other” – and it is a total rush.

I’m just really grateful to the Cramps - in all of their tawdry glory - for taking me along for the wild ride.

RIP and Godspeed, Lux.

Stay Sick!

Em said...

Personally, I've always preferred to sit at home on my couch with a good book, but I'm glad you dragged me on a few wild rides down Mulholland and I'm glad Patrick drags me out to a wine tastings every now and then. I have to go now, my couch beckons, but just for the record, any old time you drink too many vodka shots while driving down winding roads, my lap and jacket are at your disposal. Literally.

Em

Eric said...

I just thought I should use this space to let Amy know that my favorite Roky Erickson song is "I Walked with a Zombie."

Anonymous said...

Thanks sweetheart! I love you to bits!

ps I'm also glad I prefer the couch and a good book these days - wild rides down Mulhulland are fun...but a lot of times people crash.