Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Swing and Turn!!!

Wow - I'm so glad that I finally found this!!!! "This" being a song sung by Carolyn Hester called "Swing and Turn Jubilee". It was one of the first songs that I really liked when I started getting seriously into folk music up in Oregon, and it's taken quite a while to track it down again!!




It's a great song on its own - a lovely old square dance from who-knows-when - but this version has a neat little story to it:



Carolyn Hester was signed to a record contract with Columbia by John Hammond in 1960. He expected her to be the next big thing in the folk music revival that was happening at the time. Unfortunately, her first two albums didn't do so hot, so Hammond tried to get her a really good band for her third try.




If you listen to the playing on this song, it's just amazing!!! When I first heard it, I was particularly struck by the great harmonica breaks in between the verses. looking into it a little, I finally found out who played on it: A little known folk singer named Bob Dylan, recently arrived in New York and playing on his first album!!!



It may just be my imagination, but whenever I listen to it, I can just feel his excitement at being in the studio for the first time!! And by the way, on bass is Bill Lee, father of Spike Lee!!! It's just such a great performance!!





Here's the band during the recording:













The album still didn't do so great, and Carolyn Hester never made it as big as her friend and rival Joan Baez, but I'll always have a soft spot for this song!!





Here it is from Last.fm:




http://www.last.fm/music/Carolyn+Hester/_/Swing+And+Turn+Jubilee




Live and learn!!

5 comments:

Em said...

I love this song, too! And I can't believe you found a picture from that session. How cool is that?

Anonymous said...

Cool. Her voice is a bit too high and shrill for my tastes. ( Oh, to have a deep, velvety voice!) But that's a great story. And I'm glad you mentioned the harmonica, because I was listening for it, and it was quite enthusiastic and fun. Go Bobby!

Amy

pdore said...

It's funny because I'm not really wild about her voice on the other songs that I've heard of hers, but it works for me on this one!

Glad you liked it sweetheart!!

Em said...

Amy, I totally agree with you. I would say I have a Minnie Mouse voice in a Jessica Rabbit body, but that's not quite right, ha! Anyway, I too long for a low, velvety voice and usually prefer this sound, but there's something about the energy of this song I've always loved.

Pat said...

Yes, but still the smirk even in his tender youth...
Pat

PS. I'm not wild about her voice either, but she is amazing.