Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Diamonds from the Deepest Ocean!!!


Whole lotta Dylan lately. I just finished a documentary about him called "No Direction Home". It's by Martin Scorsese and it's incredible. There's so much great footage - interviews and concert stuff - and so many things I didn't know about him. He played at the 1963 march on Washington before Martin Luther King's "I have a Dream" Speech! There's a double bill for you. Also, great footage from when he was first going electric and his folky fans want to kill him. I'd heard about it, but it was fun to see that beard yell, "Judas!" and Bob turning to Robbie Robertson and the boys and telling them to play louder. Plus great stuff with Joan Baez. Anyway, the whole movie is terrific.
Speaking of Bob, here's a nice little interview that I just saw today where he's talking about Obama. It can be easy to think of Dylan as a caricature, even if you like him, but here's a great example of what a smart guy he really is:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article6043331.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

2 comments:

Eric said...

That is a great movie. I love the Mavis Staples interview in it. I heard "Positively 4th Street" last night which always stirs my vitriol. He was indeed punk before punk. I love his willful ignorance of the adulation of millions.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I love when he tells the band to play louder and goads the London crowd on...very cool.

Amy