Thursday, April 2, 2009

They Don't Love You Like I Love You!!!


There's this group in L.A. called Fallen Fruit that came up with a pretty cool idea: they make maps of neighborhoods that show where you can find public fruit trees. So you could take a long walk around Echo Park or Larchmont scavenging a large variety of free public fruit.
I like this idea for many reasons including the basic hippieness of free stuff, nature, health, community, etc. But I actually think that my favorite thing about it is that I just like maps : )
After all, I'd probably just as soon go to the store or a farmer's market for good fruit, but it's just appealing to me to see a map of our neighborhood with fruit trees marked. So this is an excuse to share some of my favorite maps. If you have any that you like, please send them over.
Here's the Fallen Fruit site if you want to check it out (it's actually unexpectedly slick):




And here are some cool maps:
















By the way, I'd probably put the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' song on the jukebox, but Em likes me to keep it mellow, so it's the Allman Brothers instead. Happy Friday everyone!!

10 comments:

Em said...

: )

Eric said...

FYI: Arcade Fire does a mellower cover of "Maps" that might suit Em more. Also, Allman Brothers post-Duane suck. Dickie Betts secretly wanted to play jazz, I just know it.
All my love,
Eric

Eric said...

"The Land of the Knee-Walking Turkeys!"

http://amethyst-angel.com/boredmap.jpg

pdore said...

Yes!!!! The Land of the people with the medium size teeth!!!! "Yeah, yeah, this is Arrowroot and he has many names." Made my day!

Eric said...

New France!!!

http://www.tngenweb.org/cessions/newfrance.jpg

pdore said...

This one is cool! Do you know the story behind it? Is it pre-statehood or just wishful French thinking?

Eric said...

Mon Dieu! It's from the future!!!

Eric said...

I mean it was mid-18th century, in all likelihood:

http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/newfrance.htm

I know they had Napoleon and worldwide colonialization like everyone else in Europe, but for some reason I have a hard time picturing an armada of rapacious Frenchmen.

pdore said...

Well, if you had just left the first comment, I would have simply said, "Omelette du fromage!!" in honor of Pere Norgaard. But since you made that scurrilous comment about the French, I must suggest that this is one of a million reasons that you should read Patrick O'Brian. Another being that he was John Vangilisti's favorite author. And as you probably know, Vangilisti was always right about everything...except when it really mattered.

Eric said...

My literary references would be Camus, Sartre, Rimbaud, and Anais Nin, so I guess that does skew my vision of a French invading force. They'd be great for shooting a lone Arab for no reason at all, though, or exploring bisexuality.