Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mother's Day

I know, I know, it's nowhere near May. I've been meaning to do this post since, well, Mother's Day, but I keep procrastinating. I could blame it on my work, or the kids' busy schedules, or all sorts of things, but the truth is, I was coming to terms with my own Momma moving far, far away and I just wasn't in the mood to write a mother's day post.

For anyone out there who doesn't know, my Mom moved to Ecuador earlier this year. Their move was really chaotic and difficult. I don't think any of us was prepared for the reality of being so far apart. Luckily, my Mom had to come home for brief visit right around Mother's Day. When I picked her up from the airport, I was immediately struck by how much happier she looked. She was tan (something that NEVER happens in my family) and her whole face and body just seemed so much more relaxed. I think it's hard on her to be so far away from us, but aside from that, the slower pace of life right by the ocean seems to suit my mom and Larry perfectly.

If 'The Atlantic' underestimated the importance of fathers, it would be hard to overestimate the importance of mothers and of the extended mothers in all of our lives. I have been blessed with so many wonderful women in my life and I was very lucky to have most of them there with me for this past Mother's Day (or very soon thereafter.)

Here's to my sister Bell, my fearless leader throughout our childhood. She taught me to read, saved my life a few times, and plays Slimey Sherman and the Slow Horse like nobody's business.

Here's to my sweet boys who picked this shirt out for me for Mother's Day. To all my Mommas, aunties, girlfriends, grandmothers, mother-in-laws, and sisters, it's true, you are all beautiful people.


Here's to the little people, who drive us a little batty sometimes, but make our lives much richer for having them in it.

Here's to my lovely Mother-in-laws, Kathi and Molly. Molly couldn't be there with us for Mother's Day, but both my Mother-in-laws are such sweet loving souls. You don't see people who are truly radiant very often, but that's the word I always think of when I see Molly and Kathi.
Here's to my own Momma, I miss you terribly. Thank you for making the world seem like a magical place.

Here's to my aunt Holly, who puts all of us Monahan girls to shame. My sister Rosada, who has always been a beautiful enigma to me. My sisters-in-law, Amy, Annie and Sonjia....see the 'beautiful' t-shirt comments up above, because it is so true for all of you guys, both inside and out!

You can't see them very well in any of these pictures, but my best friends Julie and Michelle were there that day, too. Julie lost her Momma when we were in high school, Michelle's Momma lives far away and my own family kind of imploded in high school, so we did a lot of work helping to raise one another. Here's to you two! I hope you guys know how I love you.





Hi Momma. I hope you get to read this. We miss you and hope you are happy, healthy and well. Love to all the Mommas!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since becoming a Mummy, I have new respect and awe for all the Mums out there. Thank goodness for all the wise and radiant ladies in our lives.

Thanks for the reminder, Em! You're a pretty kick-ass Mama too!

Love,

Amy

pdore said...

Such great women - the guys and I are super lucky!!!!

Molly said...

I can't quite express how honored I am to find myself on your list, Em. Many thanks.
Molly

The cool family! said...

Ahh, I love this post! And all the pictures! You guys always look like you parties are so much fun.