Saturday, January 24, 2009

More Good!!!


Well, here I am at traffic school : (

Okay - I didn't come to a complete stop at that stop sign, so I accept my debt to society. I guess one ticket in ten years isn't so bad, but man is traffic school different now! Here I am in pajamas in our living room, listening to the rain outside and wating for the timer to go down so I can take my next quiz. It's all pretty weird, but I guess is an example of how the Internet has improved things - if made us a bit more anti-social.


Anyway, it gives me a chance to post a great new find. Speaking of the Internet improving things, this really could be the greatest web idea ever! It's called the Good Guide (no relation to Good Magazine, although both definitely are), and the concept is brilliant: you can enter in a product or type of product and the site will tell you, basically, how "green" the product is. In other words - what is the environmental impact? Are there any unsafe chemicals used? Is it organic?


As if that wasn't enough, you also find out if there were any questionable labor practices used (sweatshops, etc.) and what political parties received the company's donations!!! It's also really clear and easy to use! There's a basic score for stuff & you can go into detail on everything - It's super-easy and informative. Unfortunately, it's also pretty new, and so they don't have everything yet - no food for example. But it seems like they're trying to update quickly, and what they do have is very helpful - I'm already making a deodorant switch!


The thing that really strikes me about the site though is that if many people started using this, then companies would be more likely to see these issues as being important to consumers and begin to change their habits accordingly. It may seem idealistic, but I was actually really inspired by the site! I hope that more people find out about it & check it out. Here's the link:




Well, on to the next quiz.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro,

Sorry you're stuck in traffic school. Just remember: red means slow down, green means look for celebrities and/or car accidents, and yellow means you need to check something on your cell phone.

Hope that helps!

Amy

pdore said...

Thanks Amy. What...does...red...mean...again?

The cool family! said...

So, I guess the saying 'California rolling stop' isn't really true in California!
How weird though about taking the quiz online! That's a new one!