Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Birthday!!!

Happy 80th (!!) to Ursula Le Guin!!!!! I'll feel bad if she reads this, but I have to admit that I have tried to read many of her books and haven't really liked them...except for three books that she wrote in the late 60's and early 70's: her Earthsea trilogy. But those three books are soooooooooooo great that I still consider her to be one of my favorite authors!


These books are true classics of fantasy writing - up there with The Lord of the Rings and Narnia (actually, better than Narnia I think and neck in neck with LOTR), and if you like fantasy at all, go get them! But even if fantasy isn't really your bag, the series is so well written that everyone seems to like them - I've even had some students discover an enjoyment of reading from these books!



I can't go more than a year or so without re-reading them, and every time I find something new to love - I just finished them again and dug this:


Though he was the chief wizard in the whole island of Iffish, Vetch made his home in Ismay, this small town where he had been born, living with his youngest brother and sister. His father had been a sea-trader of some means, and the house was spacious and strong-beamed, with much homely wealth of pottery and fine weaving and vessels of bronze and brass on carven shelves and chests. All things here were well-founded, peaceful, and assured; and Ged looking about him at the firelit room said, "This is how a man should live," and sighed.

"Well, it's one good way," said Vetch. "There are others."




It's funny because we lived pretty close to her up in Portland, and I was always kind of nervous to see her because I worried that I couldn't stop myself from asking her, "What happened to your writing after Earthsea?" Which would have been horrible! So I hope she doesn't read this (not a huge worry), but just in case, all the best wishes and huge thanks for three perfect books!!

“There is a desire in you,” said Sparrowhawk, “to see dragons.”

“Yes.”

“Their blood is cold and venomous. You must not look into their eyes. They are older than mankind…” He was silent for a while and then went on, “And though I came to forget or regret all I have ever done, yet would I remember that once I saw the dragons aloft on the wind at sunset above the western isles; and I would be content.”

3 comments:

Eric said...

I read the first Earthsea book but it didn't draw me in. I think it was all the cross-dressing and bondage. Mayhaps I should try again.

I was required to read "Left Hand of Darkness" in college and remember liking that a lot.

I like the excerpt. Forms a mood very succinctly.

Anonymous said...

Yes yes yes....Ursula deserves our praise and thanks, even if her other books pale in comparison. I personally think she created THE literary wizard. Ged is awesome (in the true sense of the word) because he goes through major obstacles, failures, DARKNESS, and comes out more powerful, and more integrated. Gandolf Shamndolf....a change of clothes does not make a wizard. Dumbledore...come on...too silly! And I do love both those guys; they're pretty fun and great in their own ways. But Ged is the true mage. He's the one who studies and honors the polarity of the world, light and dark, action and inaction, and the essence of nature. And he could probably kick Harry Potter's ass.

Amy

The cool family! said...

You should look into the Shadow Trilogy by Brent Weeks. SO good!!!! Very thought provoking and powerful! I even cried at times! I just finished book two Eric just finished book 3. It's one of the best of it's genre. I'm no expert... but I sure loved it!
P.S. the cover of the books are so lame... if you can get past that, you wont be sorry you read it!