Monday, October 5, 2009

Rock Pt. 2!!!!

We Morning Glory folk achieved one of our big goals this weekend: we played the Eagle Rock Music Festival!!! This is a great music celebration that takes place on Colorado Blvd. and has grown really big in the past couple of years. With all of our Eagle Rock connections, you would think that it would be pretty easy for us to get in (Dan is the mayor of Eagle Rock after all), but it’s pretty competitive these days, and we felt pretty lucky to get a spot!



One of the best things about the evening is that we started out at Senor Fish & had a fantastic dinner with lots of people we love. We also got a first look at the flyers that Joel made for us to pass out – aren’t they amazing?!! The chips were pretty good too!








It was so fun to see Mom & Panna and all of the family, friends, and kids there - I wish that we could do that more often!





Of course, as anyone at Woodstock could tell you, these big festivals have their good and their bad side. On the plus, it was great exposure, a beautiful night (complete with full moon!!), and lots of friends showed up (thank you so much guys!!).
On the down side, there are sooooo many bands now that it was really loud! Every time that we would stop, you could here the Cajun band across the street wailing away! They were great, but they weren't really supposed to be there, and it was a total volume fight. Finally, there was some bad organizational confusion which allowed another band called “Mumpo” to weasel there way into the beginning of our set time (it really was pretty slimy), and since they were TERRIBLE, quite a few people hit the road before we came up. Unfortunately, all of this meant that it definitely wasn't our finest gig. Oh well.





But...it was still a good night - and at least we had the hula hooper!! For all of the craziness, I really hope we can do it again next year!


By the way, just in case you missed it, I loved this comment from Bell:


"The festival was a blast - danced with Jack until I passed out on the grass in Em's $10,000 dress (hee hee!) - even if the band I was listening too had crashed the festival (I'll take Zydego any way i can find it) - AND it was so wonderful to see everyone ahead of time at Senior Fish (BEST potato tacos ever - still dreaming about those....). Watching the pack of kids running around and splashing in the puddles was sooo much fun (Scarlett, you little imp!).Seeing friends from the distant past was the perfect capper to an almost perfect evening (I'm still bitter that the band before Morning Glory were *ahem* less than professional, and we missed you guys playing).Thank you guys so much for inviting mom and I - it was a wonderful, rejuvenating weekend. Love you all!"





13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really quite down that I missed it. Even with the noise and battle of the bands drama. However, I am pleased that my better half was able to have a good comic con adventure that night, so oh well. Where is the automatic perfectly perfect Mary Poppins-like babysitter that is always available at the drop of a hat when you need her?

But it was really fun to hang out with everyone beforehand at Senor Fish. Watching the kids run around, stomping in puddles, and giggling like crazy was lovely. Let's do that again soon.

Amy

The cool family! said...

That sounds awesome! I love big parties like that. You should post a video of your band playing so us non-locals can hear it!

Em said...

Hi Baby,

Appropriately enough, 'Home' was playing while I read this post. Geez, you're somethin' to see. I wish I could have seen you play this time, but hopefully since they messed you guys up this year, they'll let you in next year and I can try again.

I love the picture of Bell looking up at Dan, that's such a great, classic Eagle Rock picture to me. And Amy, you're still my hero for retrieving Finn's frog from the scary cacti-field behind Senior Fish. Also...Maria keeps telling me to bring all the boys over for babysitting one night so we can all go out together. Let me know when you think Felix is old enough and we're off!

pdore said...

Em?

Em said...

Patrick?

Anonymous said...

You guys?

Amy

pdore said...

Do remember the other night when we were on the couch and you said that that was the best part of your day?

Em said...

I sure do.

pdore said...

Well, while you were curled up with me and we were laughing at Paris throwing rasberries at people, I was falling deeeeep in love with you!!

Em said...

Awwww. Deeper in love, I hope. Ha! I love you, too and I'll see you soon.

Eric said...

Sorry, guys. I am completely failing to come up with a snarky comment.
Love you all.

Jeff Dore said...

Wow. You had huge crowds and they were actually LIVE people! Beats our gig in the cemetery big-time! Congrats on being in a major festival. As for the back-and-forth between Patrick and Em in the Comments, could I suggest you two get a room?

Em said...

Eric,

I am glad to see on your blog that you are falling in love with Maine and are enjoying an overall cheerier outlook on life. I have to say, I was counting on you to put a stop to our silliness, but no luck. For that, we had to wait for Jeff.

Jeff, what a wonderful suggestion! We will definitely take that under consideration.