Friday, April 23, 2010

Curse!!!



Happy 446th B-Day to William Shakespeare!!! It is also, BTW, the same day that he died! For another fun Shakespeare fact, here's what he has written on his tomb:

GOOD FREND FOR JESUS SAKE FORBEARE,
TO DIGG THE DUST ENCLOASED HEARE.
BLESTE BE Ye MAN Yt SPARES THES STONES,
AND CURST BE HE Yt MOVES MY BONES.

Or for those with less Mydle Ynglish:

Good friend for Jesus' sake forbeare,
To dig the dust enclosed here.
Blessed be the man that spares these stones,
And cursed be he that moves my bones.


And they're still there (as far as we know)!

Happy Friday all!!!

8 comments:

The cool family! said...

Neat quote, I didn't know he had that on his tomb. Learned something new today!

Eric said...

It's so cute that you still believe in Shakespeare.
Think about it, Patrick. No one person could have written all those plays.
I was 7 when I realized that my parents were really Shakespeare.

Robert Pollard is real, though.

pdore said...

Ha!! Both of those comments just made my day :)

Eric said...

According to Wikipedia, Robert Pollard has written over 1,300 songs.

I'm so cute. I still believe in Wikipedia.

pdore said...

I heard that Francis Bacon (not the viscount, but the painter) wrote most of those songs. Although "The Future is in Eggs" really is Tobin Sprout.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but Tobin can't do a mean karate stage kick, which I've seen Mr Pollard do a few times. I wonder if "Shakespeare" would have been into indie rock.

I have to say that that is a very lame thing to have on your tomb. I wouldn't have been thinking of bothering it until I read the lines, and then my mind would start thinking, "hhmm...now that you mention it, why not?!"

Amy

pdore said...

I know! It's like when you're driving and you see someone crossing the street, and you know that it would be wrong to run them over, but it's like it's the car that wants to run them over and you have to just fight the steering wheel and you just barely miss them, this time!
Isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Ah...no. It's nothing like that.

Amy