Saturday, November 8, 2008

Van Morrison!!!




Well, Joni didn't jump on stage, but we still had a great time at the Van Morrison concert last night! It was so nice to go out for an adult evening with Em, and eating sushi and chocolate (plus some contraband wine we snuck in) while listening to Van at night was pretty teriffic!






I wish that I could say that it was the greatest concert ever, but unfortunately it fell a little short. Van sounded great! It's amazing the sound that comes out of that little fireplug guy. His band had some great players too. In fact, the bass player from the original Astral Weeks album, Richard Davis, played bass! It was AMAZING to hear him playing that double bass just as well as he did for the original album. I've always thougt that his playing (along with that of Connie Kay on drums) is some of the best musical support of a singer ever. Just to hear him with Van was worth the admission. Also on stage was Jay Berliner who played guitar on the album, and still sounds great!


Unfortunately, also on stage were a few cheeseball musicians who, I'm sure, played on many songs featured on the late, unlamented KTWV; The Wave. In recent years, Van has walked a fine line between his Celtic soul groove & a lightweight contemporary R&B feel. Both sides were evident last night, and while it was great to hear the amazing songs from Astral Weeks, it was a little disappointing to hear them with a cheesy Wavey backbeat. If only Connie Kay was still around...sigh.


Still, it was a really fun night. It's always great to go to to the bowl, and hearing Van & Richard Davis performing Madame George is not a thing to miss, in November under the stars, not if you care for such things.

2 comments:

Em said...

I keep meaning to tell you that although that isn't my favorite Van Morrison song, normally, it was perfect for last night and I thought the band played a great version of it. I also loved the energy from the crowd on Madame George. You could almost feel the collective disappointment in the air over the passage of prop 8.

Anyway, mostly it was just a lovely, perfect night to cuddle under the stars. What a marvelous night for a moondance, with you, my love.

The cool family! said...

GO Van Halen... ooops I mean Van Morrison! I'm not familiar with his stuff (I don't know, maybe if I heard it I would know it), but HEY, a concert is a concert is a concert! And concerts rock!!!