Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July!!!

We had a terrific 4th of July this weekend! As usual, we went to Lacey Park in San Marino for their fireworks extravaganza, which we’ve been doing for the last 4 years or so. I wish that it wasn’t quite as expensive as it is, but I have to admit that they throw a pretty darn good 4th of July party!! They definitely pull out all the stops Independence-Day-wise; old car parade, barbershop quartet, Dixieland band, etc. We actually tend to avoid all of the America-overdose and sit on the opposite side of the park from most of the events, but it’s still very pleasant to hear the music floating over the grass without being smothered in red, white and blue. We always have a great time there, and I think that this was the best one ever!



Cheetoes!!



One thing that was really great was having so many friends and family there. Adrienne and Josh and Lorelei, our usual 4th friends were there, and we also had Julie and Thor with little Scarlett, Michelle, my mom, and finally Amy, Jamie, and Felix. Unfortunately, Amy & jamie had to go early because they’re having the horrible baby-sleep-deprivation-blues : ( Good luck to them!!! It was still wonderful to see everyone, and we had great food, and so much fun watching the kids run and run and run and run!!









Elves in the woods!














Bubbles!






























I am really proud of these two pictures!!
























Of course, the real test for the 4th is the fireworks, and Lacey Park does as good a show as we’ve seen anywhere: lots of variety, a huge grand finale, and - most important - not too long. Fireworks are great, but I think that some fireworks goes a long way, and they have it down pretty well. We were all fireworks-satisfied, but not dazed like we used to be at the Rose Bowl. It was a terrific 4th!!!














































7 comments:

Em said...

Love these! Thank you for taking so many pictures, sweetie.

Eric said...

Is fireworks both a singular and a plural? If so, what other words that end in -s are?

Of course, what I mean to say is: What wonderful pictures of a sweet time with your family. Wish we were there.

pdore said...

You'd better watch it now that you're blogging too, buddy! But in this case, I was making an intentional grammatical faux pas: using "some fireworks" in the singular for the (obvious) comic effect. English teachers never make mistakes!

Eric said...

No, I was serious. I liked it as a singular, whether (obviously) comically intended or not. This usage should be explored.

(I won't mention that you left a parenthesis open, English Teacher.

pdore said...

It's not a parenthesis, it's a frowny face, "teacher" shouldn't be capitalized, and, like I said, you'd better watch it!!

Eric said...

Sorry. My emoticon grammar is not up to snuff. And the capital T was meta-ironic, or something.

I hereby back off :)

Eric said...

PS: I don't think our mothers will ever age.