Friday, July 3, 2009

Pico & Sepulveda!!!


Hope everyone's having a nice Friday off! I just had a couple of things that I wanted to put up that I thought were cool.


First of all, if your life has been a little grim or sad lately, it's possible that you might be missing Dr. Demento. Unlikely, it's true, but possible.
If you think this might be the case though, you can hear him doing an hour long show tonight on 100.3 as part of their KMET day (!). Em & I have both been enjoying 100.3 a lot lately; they do a great Sunday morning show which actually sounds amazingly like the old KNX-FM! So if you need some fish heads in your life, Dr. Demento will be on from 7-8 tonight. You can hear the station streaming here:




Also, I've got to give another shout-out to Gretchen from "The Happiness Project" because, after writing about her site on Tuesday during my blessedly short jury duty, I got an email from her this morning!!! I've written before about how amazing it is that the Internet can allow you to communicate with people who you really admire, and this was a really nice surprise! Again, she's a good writer with many insights into happiness, and you can check out her site at:
So now you have no excuse to be sad.
Peace & Love.

3 comments:

Eric said...

Dr. Demento turned me on to punk rock/new wave. I had heard of punk, but the first song that really grabbed me was "Holiday in Cambodia," which I heard for the first time on "Little Bitty Heaven 94.7, KMET, Tweedle-Dee" during the Dr. Demento show (this would have been 1980). I guess he thought it was a novelty. I remember asking everyone at school the next day if they'd ever heard of the Dead Kennedys. Finally, someone (might have been you, Patrick) told me that KROQ played them sometimes, so I started listening. I remember the first time I turned KROQ on, "Pump it Up" by Elvis Costello was playing (I had seen the video on Kasey Casem's Saturday morning show and had been enthralled). The rest is history.

pdore said...

That's pretty funny that he would play "Yoda" and then "Holliday in Cambodia"! Those were the days. I remember discovering KMET - Blue Oyster Cult, etc. and then discovering KROQ - my first was "Pablo Picasso Visits the Planet of the Apes" believe it or not - pure magic : )

Anonymous said...

Oh that song...I wish I recorded you and Eric singing Planet of the Apes triple time. Loved it!

YAY DR. D!!!

Amy