Friday, July 31, 2009

Dirty Post!!!


I saw this article a couple of days ago and thought that it was pretty cool - digging in the dirt makes you healthier and creates happiness!! I'm so glad that I have two pots on the balcony that need dirt and plants, so I can get a good buzz pretty soon. However, I think that I'll wait until we get back from Oregon. It's so hot that those would be two more plants that might not be around by the time we get back! So it's something to look forward to : )


"You now have a new reason to make mud pies — and lick the spoon if you feel like it! A recent study has revealed that ingesting soil bacteria (or Mycobacterium vaccae) not only makes your immune system more capable of handling allergens like bee pollen and cat dander, but also increases the release of serotonin into your brain. This means that playing in the dirt induces a natural happiness high that could help to combat depression, bodily pains and other common ailments. So don’t give in to washing your hands multiple times an hour in fear of catching the next swine flu — go stick them in a pile of dirt instead!
Read more about this exciting news in the article “
Is Dirt the new Prozac?” from Discover Magazine."


Speaking of serotonin, I stole this from the Gamble family blog, but I thought that it deserved to be seen by as wide an audience as possible! Finn & I have recreated the badger dance, and it's a pretty great way to get a quick high!! Hope everyone has a great Friday!!!


3 comments:

Eric said...

Must eat dirt.

Did you know that David Prior and I once created a silent music video on Super 8 entitled "The Badger"? It was for an imaginary song by an imaginary band named White Trash Disco. It featured me in various poses at Barnsdall, pointing to a giant off-screen badger, with alternating expressions of horror and sleaze.

It did not include mushrooms or snakes, but I think they were implied.

Anonymous said...

Oooo...I'm so jealous that you are going up to Oregon and can get super dirty and happy (and healthy apparently). Does that mean that Dad is the healthiest, happiest person in the world? Cuz I think he digs around in the dirt pretty much every day.

Good to know all this...I'm going to go stick Felix in a trash dump and throw some fertilizer on him.

Amy

p.s. User name on Etsy...DO IT!

pdore said...

That's right Eric!! I knew that this seemed familiar somehow! We were pretty ahead of our time I think.

Amy - I'll definitely make an Etsy name - I want to look at your stuff too!! Also, I understand throwing fertizer on Felix, but I'm not sure why you need to put him in the trash dump. Wish you were heading up north with us!!!