Friday, July 24, 2009

Aleatoricism!!!


Here is the traditional Random Friday post:


I woke up this morning wondering why September, October, November, and December, which correspond to the Latin for seven, eight, nine, and ten are in fact the 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th months. I thought that was so weird, and I'd never heard anyone talk about it! I just found out the answer, but I just thought that it was a weird thing to wake up thinking.


There has been a literary debate recently about a revised version of Hemingway's A Moveable Feast. This is a great book, and one of my favorite English books about France (along with Paris to the Moon). I was disturbed, as I'm sure you all were, about this revised version, which really made some big changes because of some offended relatives of people in the book. So I was glad to see this article this morning which seems to have the last word:

Here are some more songs that would be on the blog jukebox if the world were just:
"The Time Has Come" - Pentangle
"Bony On The Isle Of St. Helena" - Uncle Earl
"The Farmer's Daughter" - Fleetwood Mac

Finally, Etsy rules!

Happy Friday!!!


10 comments:

Bell said...

I'm so happy this morning! Fabulous posts, fabulous comments, AND Afternoon Delight!

Patrick, you made my day!

Eric said...

A) How close did we come to having a month named Caligulember?

B) This is the sort of passage (from the NYT article) that makes it really hit home how little I've done with my life:

"In 1956, Ernest and I were having lunch at the Ritz in Paris with Charles Ritz, the hotel’s chairman, when Charley asked if Ernest was aware that a trunk of his was in the basement storage room, left there in 1930. Ernest did not remember storing the trunk but he did recall that in the 1920s Louis Vuitton had made a special trunk for him. Ernest had wondered what had become of it."

I need to get out more.

C) Incredible picture and caption.

Enjoy the day

Em said...

No kidding, Eric. Why did this make me think of the Joe's crazy trunks from Joe vs. The Volcano? Today I will dream that I am a wanderer instead of a home body. Dreaming about being a world class writer, instead of a copy writer is just too depressing.

Anonymous said...

Weren't July and August added later, in honor of those Emperors?

Roman Consuls were known to add days to a month to extend their terms in office, something I'm surprised isn't used more often now days!

Love the picture.

My day starts officially in four hours, groan.

Happy friday,

Jx

pdore said...

Oh how I love the comments you guys leave on this site!!!!

One of the reasons that A Moveable Feast is such a great book is because it's filled with this kind of stuff ("Picasso wanted to go bowling, but Joyce had to do his laundry," etc.) And it's totally funny & well written - there's a great part about Hemingway trying to catch pigeons for dinner! It can be kind of depressing, but also, hopefully, really inspiring.

As to Caligulember - you don't know how close we were!! Jamie gives some good info, but the whole story is pretty interesting!

Much love to all of you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

Back in cuba, Ernest said to me, "hhm..what exotic and nonsensical thing should we do today?" Being a hugely talented and modest person, I had the genius idea of hunting a rare hippo and then giving each other foot massages with it's sweat and tears. Ernest said, "But I'm more famous, and I know that there are no hippos in Cuba." I cried and swore and threw my old but charming typewriter out of the window. Ernest sat down and thought and said, "It must be pidgeons or fish or a very mistreated bull. All else would be beneath us." I shouted Hurrah and hugged him, but in a manly way, and we set to it, but first we drank some wine.
A

pdore said...

You know, there are contests for people like you:

http://www.2camels.com/international-imitation-hemingway-competition.php

Anonymous said...

Contests? Dude, where we're going we don't need contests.

A

Bell said...

A - your post is so perfect I had to read it three times in a row. Then I felt very jealous that I hadn't written it. Then I read it again. Then I felt more jealous.

Anonymous said...

Bel, my dear,

Little did I know that channeling a dead macho fish writer would come so naturally. Patrick wasn't even sure who wrote it! HA

Thanks cuz I always feel a bit self-conscious about my dismal writing skills. Cheers!

Amy