Friday, August 28, 2009

Less Grumpy!!!

I just got back from the beach & was so happy to see the comments on the last post!!! I was actually going to close up the blog, which is what I do when the comments that people make are much more interesting than my posts, but I figured I’d just do another post instead. Definitely read the comments from the last one though (glad you liked the picture Sweetheart!!)

Anyway, it's so easy for me to get grumpy about things like the Pitchfork list (kids today, fat guitar players, etc. etc.), but really the amazing thing is to be able to not only hear about all of this music, but to be able to listen to it right away!! And how much does this cost? Uh, nothing. Wow!! I do miss the days of “The Song Remains the Same”, and “Scarlet Begonias”, but obviously there is still some awesome music out there, and it is so amazing to be able to have a great discussion about it and then be able to listen to it in the comfort of your living room!!

Thanks for your suggestions Bell! I’d love to borrow a Dagons album from you because they are kind of hard to find on the net for some reason (I’m sure a teen could find it in 10 seconds, but I’m pretty much limited to YouTube!). And of course Lucinda Williams is great, although “Car Wheels on a Gravel Road” was 1998, so no dice ; )

Eric – you must make a list, and I don’t know if I can wait until the end of the year! One funny thing though is that you said that you hadn’t heard half of these songs. If you’re not exaggerating, then I am amazed that you’re at 50%!!! I think I had heard about 30 of them total!! So one of my goals for the week of vacation I have left is to listen to all of them!! Well, maybe not the Britney Spears, but MOST of them. I feel like I should give the decade a fair shot before getting too grumpy!

And, OK, I do have a thing against much electronic/club music, which kind of kicks me out of the whole contemporary music thing. For example, LCD Soundsystem (at #2!!)? Don’t get it. Am old. But…Daftpunk is OK – at least “Harder Better Faster Stronger” (#139). My real beef with their list was the top 20, which I thought was kind of slight. But after looking at the rest of the list a little closer, there were definitely some really good songs. Again, a “Suite Judy Blue Eyes” or “Strawberry Fields”? Maybe not, but times have changed. Anyway, here are some other ones that I would put on my list:

Lose Yourself – Eminem
Young Folks - Peter Bjorn and John
New Slang – Shins
Lost Cause – Beck
Sorry Miss Jackson – Outkast
Time to Pretend – Mgmt
Kids – Mgmt (just heard it again on KROQ! A great song, but the video is totally disturbing – I would not recommend it – although the mother is Joanna Newsom!!)
Nightingale – Morning Glory

Happy Friday to everyone & have a great weekend!!!

6 comments:

Eric said...

Before I do another thing with my life, I must take a moment to thank you, Patrick.
"Kids" by MGMT is exquisite and beautiful and I am disturbed that it existed and I was not aware.
I am out of touch, but perhaps I should listen to "alternative rock" radio if this is a song that is perchance played. This may even outweigh having to listen to Saliva or P.O.D. or whatever numetal is popular with the kids these days.
Seriously, I am listening to this song on a continuous loop.
O Frabjuous Day.

pdore said...

I'm really glad you like it Eric!! I have actually heard it on KROQ once (I still like Kevin & Bean in the mornning), but it's probably not worth having to listen to new Lincoln Park, God help us. I do find the video pretty disturbing though, did you see it?

Anonymous said...

I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself for picking up MGMT last year in London. I saw their Time to Pretend video, and thought it was pretty great, but I was very pregnant at the time and needless to say, very hormonal, so wasn't sure if it was just me, or was actual decent. So glad that Patrick agrees, as that makes me have more confidence in my musical taste (and hormones).

Yes, list please, Eric. No excuses...get to it.

Amy

Jeff Dore said...

I am so impressed with your blog! I am finding it a challenge even to post a comment. Maybe this one will work; the characters I have to type in the little box below look pretty straightforward.
We have the first iteration of our new cd from Hicks With Picks, and I'm hoping when it's released (that is, mailed to friends and family) everyone will revise their lists. There's one on there I just KNOW should pierce the top 5 million list ANYWHERE!

pdore said...

Yeah, Eric, you have to thank Amy for hipping us to MGMT also - she gave me their song on a really good mix CD. Go figure!

Jeff - definitely want to get the new Hicks with Picks!! Although remember that we have to get it by Dec. 31 or no list (until 2019!!)

Eric said...

Patrick, there are apparently two different videos for this, and yes, one of them is very disturbing. This one, however is a lot of fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIEOZCcaXzE

Enjoy