Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Oregon (Pt. 4)!!!


At the heart of our Oregon vacation is always Farm Fest, where many great people gather on the farm to swim, meet new and old friends, eat good food, and make music. It is a really special event, and one of my favorite days of the whole year!! This year was no exception. Even though we were missing a few amazing regulars (Fred, Bill and Rita please come back next year!!!), there were so many wonderful people there, and some really unexpected surprises!



We loooooooved hearing the twins play their Ukulele music (“Lemonade” has hit song written all over it!!), the two fiddlers Laura and Taz were playing better than ever! There was also more music from all of the kids including “The Cat Came Back”, and a really stunning "Born to be Wild" (I think), and we even got an introduction to the Hungarian clarinet!





One musical thing that was really special for me was playing a great Kate Rusby song called “Planets” with Dad and Molly!!! Molly sang beautifully, and Dad played his new guitar, which sounds great! I can’t say that we played it perfectly, but it was really fun!!




One thing you may notice is that there aren't quite as many good pictures of this part of the trip as some of the others. That's partly because everybody is enjoying the music so much, but also because while we self-absorbed musicians are doing our thing, Em is watching everybody's kids!!! Here you can see that she's got them set up for playdough and they're having a great time instead of hitting each other with sticks or wandering off into the poison oak!! Em always gets stuck with this (I know there are other grown-ups there too, but it seems like Em takes care of a lot!!), and she does such a great job, on top of also trying to listen to the music, eat, etc.!!! I appreciate it soooooooo much that she takes care of this while I get to do my music thing, but it sure will be nice when the kids are a few years older and she can sit next to me again!!!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, there are never enough good photos of the song circle. But it looks like you guys had fun. Well, next year hopefully we'll come up, and I can be on kid duty and let Em enjoy the music. Then in a few years, maybe I'll be able to sit down again, and perhaps by that time I'll have learned a song on the guitar! But probably not.

Amy

p.s. I can't wait to hear this Lemonade song by the twins...everyone keeps raving about it!