Thursday, June 4, 2009

Swoon!!!


My good friend Dan spends a lot of his time playing music in front of stores, drinking coffee, jogging around the Rose Bowl, sleeping late, and hanging out with friends. He knows just about everyone, and has often (he has told me) gotten into arguments, and sometimes almost-fights, with people who get unduly annoyed at his way of life. The thinking seems to be: “Why does this guy get to putz around all day when I have to (fill in horrible monotonous activity here)?” Basically, people often seem really offended at his perceived lack of motivation. I say “perceived” because he really is one of the most dedicated musicians that I know, and is one of the only artists that I know who actually makes money doing exactly what he wants – not a huge amount it’s true, but it's still a pretty great accomplishment!

I think one of the reasons that we have remained good friends for so long is that I have come to be very happy with Dan’s lifestyle. Of course this is my issue, not his, but it actually did used to bother me; it’s strange how easy it is to project a variety of insecurities onto someone like this. But at some point it occurred to me that the world is full of people who are working 9 to 5 every day, buying, selling, waterboarding, struggling to get ahead, etc. There aren’t that many Dans however, so I really do love and cherish him!








Anyway, as we speak, there are a group of American artists and crazies who are drifting down the coastal waters of the Aegean sea on fantastic art-boats in order to get to the Venice Biennale which begins this Sunday.



They are “led” (I assume this is a very loose term) by a succesful New York street artist by the name of Swoon (dancing left). It’s actually hard to find a good picture of her, as she prefers to keep her identity under wraps in order to do her Guerilla art.




I think she’s really good! Check this one out.
























The crew members all have the kind of bios that you could probably imagine. Here’s a typical one:




"Robyn Hasty (left): Bittersweet talkin’ dress wearin’ boat captain from the deepest of deep deep south. Keeps her knife close and her friends closer. Sports a sideshow career as a burlesque printmaker who can weave her tassels into the most realistic visage of Poseidon this side of the Mississippi."
















































I think the pictures tell about all you need to know, but if you’re really into it, they are actually blogging at this site (although be warned that reading it is like eating a triple chocolate fudge cake):
































































































So, as I get situated into my 40’s, a part of me goes, “Why do they get to putz around all day while I have to blah, blah, blah…” But a bigger, better part can thank God for Swoon and her crew. And maybe someday we too will get to float down the Aegean to the Venice Biennale.




Peace & Love to all!!!























2 comments:

Aunt Bell said...

The world would be a MUCH poorer place without the Dans in it.

Love and Peace back! :)

Em said...

Uptight Thursday and carefree Friday. Ahhhhhh. Drifting now.